CORONAVIRUS (COVID -19)
Coronavirus is the kind of virus that causes infection in the nose, sinus, or the upper throat. It was firstly identified in the 1960s but it is still unknown about where it came from. Coronavirus can infect both humans as well as animals. Coronavirus spreads the same way as other viruses do, like coughing, sneezing and touching.
This infection is highly contagious and can spread through droplets, ie- when you touch the infected person’s hands or the face. Normal Coronavirus spreading is mostly common in autumn and winter.
Severe Coronavirus Outbreaks: COVID-19: Covid-19 was first detected on 17th November 2019 in China’s city Wuhan and there was a sudden outbreak of the disease throughout the world, with thousands of people getting infected and hundreds of people dying.
World Health Organization ( WHO) identified this virus to be of the new type, 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that could be fatal. The organization named the virus as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and named the disease COVID-19. The outbreak immediately moved from China to the rest of the world quite quickly.
Symptoms of Coronavirus:
The symptoms of Covid-19 are similar to upper respiratory infections.
- The symptoms include runny nose, coughing, sore throat, and sometimes fever. Covid-19 can be identified through the test results.
- Many people develop flu-like symptoms inclusive of fever and shortness of breath, but these symptoms are visible only after 5-10 days of infection.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting is also observed in some cases. Initial cases in China were only showing Cardiac symptoms like tightness in the chest and palpations.
- In some cases, the disease may progress to pneumonia, multi-organ failure, and even death.
There is an incubation period after the virus affects a person, during which the symptoms may be delayed. This period typically lasts between 5-6 days but may range from 2-14 days.
If the infection spreads to the lower respiratory tract, it can also cause pneumonia, especially to the elderly and children or the people with the weaker immune systems.
Prevention from Covid-19
There is still no treatment available for Covid-19 so prevention is the only way out.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with the soap and warm water or with the alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Try to keep away your fingers from your nose, eyes, and mouth
- Avoid close contact with infected people
- Do not sneeze or cough in your hands
- Do not touch stairway railings or lift buttons, use a tissue paper
- Stay away from a person with cold or fever
- Wear masks in public
- Avoid going out of the house, especially to the malls, cinema halls or social gatherings
How to treat the symptoms?
- Use the same method that you use to treat a cold
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink warm fluids
- Take over the counter medicine for the sore throat and the fever. Avoid giving aspirin to children or teens younger than 19
- Humidifier and the steamy shower can also help ease a sore and scratchy throat.
Coronavirus Outbreak: What measures have been taken by the Indian Government?
The government organized a committee headed by the Union Health Minister and it comprises of Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Minister of State of Home Affairs, Minister of State of Health and Family Welfare, Minister of State of Shipping.
The government has stepped up the screening processes at different entry zones including airports, ports, and border crossing. The government has started screening everyone crossing borders. The government has also equipped airports with thermal scanners handheld thermal detectors. People in various banks, hospitals, and government agencies are taking precautions by wearing masks and gloves and using sanitizers.
All the multiplexes, theatres, schools, malls and institutes have been closed. India is under curfew. People are now appealed to work from home so that they stay safe and healthy during the outbreak of this pandemic. People are requested to maintain social distancing.
The CORONAVIRUS is fast spreading in different parts of India. And the governments are taking all possible steps to control the pandemic. And one step that will help in this fight is the CORONAVIRUS symptoms checking tool. This tool has been brought by Reliance Jio.
WHO and WhatsApp have also partnered to allow users to get the latest and trusted Coronavirus news on the messaging app. As far as this new tool from Jio is concerned, they have joined hands with Microsoft. To use this tool called, Coronavirus info & tools you should be using the MyJio app. Though the tool is available on both Android and iOS, it was found out that the tool worked better on Android than on the iOS platform, as per India Today’s observation
CORONAVIRUS belongs to a family of viruses that are quite well-known as the common cold. 2019 Novel CORONAVIRUS is different from the previous CORONAVIRUS and can cause acute symptoms like pneumonia, difficulty in breathing and can be fatal.
In short – Stay home stay safe